Author: Mark Souther

40 Club

Green Book Details 40 Club appears in the Green Book from 1946 to 1955, variously listed at 369 or 399 E. Federal St. in Youngstown under the category Night Clubs. Additional information coming soon.


Green Book Details 50505 appears in the Green Book in 1950-51 at 454 W. Federal (St.) in Youngstown under the category Night Clubs. Additional information coming soon.

A. A. Social Club

A. A. Social Club was open at least from 1944 to 1955 and likely longer. As of 1945 its owner was George Davis and its manager was James Caldwell. Green Book Details A. A. Social appears in the Green Book from 1950 to 1955 at 703 W. Rayen Ave. in Youngstown under the category Night […]

Alhambra Bowling Center

Alhambra Bowling Co. was located in the Euclid-105th Market building. It was reported for discriminatory treatment of Black bowlers in 1940. Additional information coming soon. Resources “Call-Post Columnist Wins Cash for Bowling Jim-Crow.” Call & Post. February 1, 1941.


Green Book Details Bagnet appears in the Green Book from 1950 to 1960 at 316 Covington (St.) in Youngstown under the category Restaurants. Additional information coming soon.

Bedford Reservation

Bedford Reservation in the Cleveland metropolitan park system was occasionally referenced as a picnic spot used by African Americans in the 1930s. Later, in 1962, despite many years of Black horseback riding on the Bedford Reservation’s bridle paths, the Black Beauty Riding Club refused to rent its horses to African Americans, claiming that “99 percent […]


Green Book Details Belmont appears in the Green Book from 1953 to 1964 at 327 Belmont Ave. in Youngstown under the category Tourist Homes. Additional information coming soon.

Biles Farm

The farm of Mr. & Mrs. George Biles on Route 91 in Solon was described as a “thickly wooded section” and was variously noted as having 148 or 160 acres. The Biles family leased the farm as tenants from John C. Jackson, a white landowner in Chagrin Falls, in 1939. It was the location for […]

Brady Lake

Brady Lake was an amusement park and leisure destination along Brady Lake between Kent and Ravenna, Ohio. It opened in 1898 and was regionally popular into the mid-20th century. Brady Lake attracted African American leisure-seekers in the interwar years. Additional information coming soon.

Brooks’ Grille

Sadie Brooks operated Brooks’ Grille on Akron’s North Howard Street. Green Book Details Brooks’ Grille appears as “Brook’s” in the Green Book from 1939 to 1953 at 42 N. Howard St. in Akron under the category Taverns. Additional information coming soon. Resources Brooks’ Grille ad. Call & Post. December 24, 1936.

Brushwood Lake

Located in Furnace Run Metro Park, Brushwood Lake was one of two public parks in Summit County (the other being Virginia Kendall Park) whose swimming areas were open to African Americans in the mid 20th century. Brushwood’s swimming area operated only for a few years in the late 1940s and early 1950s. Additional information coming […]

Camp Cheerful

Camp Cheerful opened in 1945 by the Society for Crippled Children as the nation’s first camp designed especially for children with disabilities. It is located in Mill Stream Run Reservation near Strongsville. In its early years the camp operated on a segregated basis but eventually integrated its programs. Additional information coming soon. Resources “Handicapped Youth […]

Camp Mueller

Camp Mueller is located on Akron-Peninsula Road in the Cuyahoga Valley National Park north of Cuyahoga Falls and was started by the Phillis Wheatley Association in 1939 as an interracial camp for inner-city children. Additional information coming soon. Resources “Phillis Wheatley Association.” Cleveland Historical. Phillis Wheatley Association (Oral History Collection). Cleveland Voices.

Carnegie Hotel

Carnegie Hotel was located at 6803 Carnegie Avenue. Hotel owners Earnestine and Eddie Eadie sold their interests in the sixty-room hostelry in 1947 to Alonzo Wright, who also operated the Majestic Hotel on East 55th Street. The former manager of the Blue Grass Club and Mason’s Farm took charge of operating the hotel’s Blue Room […]

Chestnut Beach

Chestnut Beach hosted various organizations’ outings and offered outdoor recreation and dancing. In 1937, it hosted the “All Ohio-Pennsylvania Negro outing.” The precise location is unclear. It was described as being “reached via route 8 and route 526.” The latter highway, now defunct, ran from East Akron through Mogadore to Route 43 in Suffield Township. […]

Chippewa Valley Camp

Located on Riverview Road in the Brecksville Reservation of the Cleveland Metroparks, Chippewa Valley Camp was home to the Playhouse Settlement (Karamu House)’s summer camp from 1923 to 1947. The camp was part of a broader collaboration between the Cleveland Metropolitan Park Board and the Cleveland Welfare Federation. Additional information coming soon. Resources Raponi, Richard. […]

Circle Theatre

Circle Theatre was located at 10208 Euclid Avenue in the city’s so-called “second downtown” that centered on Euclid and E. 105th. The theater opened as the Hoffman in 1920, became the Circle in 1927, and operated until 1959. In the 1950s, as the adjacent Hough neighborhood transitioned to a majority Black area, the entertainment businesses […]

Cottage Grove Lake Resort

Cottage Grove Lake in the Portage Lakes emerged as a picnicking and recreational spot as early as the 1880s after the Cleveland Terminal & Valley Railroad initiated passenger service through the Cuyahoga Valley between Cleveland and the Portage Lakes. By 1890 the railroad financed the development of Cottage Grove Lake into a full-fledged resort. A […]

Crystal Beach

Crystal Beach was a lakeside amusement park that operated in Vermilion, Ohio, from 1907 to 1962. The earliest mention of Black visitors was that of the Union Sunday School picnic in 1908. In 1932, the Cleveland Plain Dealer reported that the Cuyahoga County Lodge of Colored Elks held its annual picnic at Crystal Beach, suggested […]