The Cedar Branch YMCA, located at Cedar Avenue and East 77th Street, always helped the young men in its community even with often limited resources. The first Cedar Branch YMCA building was constructed in 1879 and was rented from the Lend-a-Hand Mission in 1921. The YMCA purchased the building two years later along with an […]
Author: Sarah White
Gay Crosse and Leroy Crump owned and operated Gay’s Hotel and the Gay’s Drive-In-Bar-B-Q restaurant behind it at 2117 East 83rd Street between Carnegie and Cedar Avenues in the 1950s. Crosse was also the saxophonist frontman for a band called the Good Humor Six. Additional information coming soon.
Belle McCray always extended a helping hand to those in need and provided housing for many families moving to Cleveland. She moved from Greenville, Mississippi, with her husband Sam McCray in 1917 as part of the Great Migration. Soon after she arrived in Cleveland, she started acquiring property. She purchased properties on East 40th Street, […]
The Phillis Wheatley Association first opened in 1911 at 2265 East 40th Street as a “home for working girls” regardless of race or nationality and could only accommodate fifteen boarders who had access to a kitchen, a place to entertain visitors, and laundry facilities. From its inception, more women were interested in living at the […]
The Ward family’s path to success was fraught with struggle. Prior to coming to Cleveland, William Ward, born in 1877 in Leesville, Virginia, was a bellhop at the Old Monongahela Hotel in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, by day and attending business courses by night. Once he was done with his business courses, he decided to open the […]
Edith Wilkins was the owner and proprietor of The Wilkins School of Cosmetology, which trained young African American women how to offer cosmetology services. Her cosmetology school was renowned throughout Ohio even though Edith Wilkins was not originally from Ohio. Edith Wilkins was born in Plumville, Arkansas, in 1893 and attended Poro College of Cosmetology […]