Breezy-Air Country Club, later known simply as Johnson’s Farm, was a popular summer resort owned by attorney and civil rights activist Harvey J. Johnson and his wife Helena. The farm was on Ledge Road off old Route 8 between Northfield and Macedonia on land that had previously been the Summit Hunt Club. Born in Griffin, […]
Country Clubs & Golf Courses
The Cedar Country Club appears in the Green Book in 1939 on Route 43 in Solon under the category Country Clubs. The club’s actual location was south of Rt. 43 on Cochran Road. In 1935, Bennie and Blanche Mason acquired the farm where they started Cedar Country Club the following year. It featured horse stables, […]
Maple Hollow Country Club was a site for organizations’ picnics. It was organized in the 1920s by a syndicate of prominent Black Clevelanders and was located on or near Route 422 in Parkman. The Great Depression stalled plans to develop it into Northeast Ohio’s answer to Michigan’s Idlewild, one of the nation’s preeminent African American […]
Highland Park Golf Course is located at 3550 Green Road in Highland Hills. It was part of a vast swath of land in Warrensville Township known as Cooley Farms that was owned by the City of Cleveland starting in the Progressive Era. Opened in 1913, Highland Park has a long history of hosting Black golf […]
Manakiki Country Club, located at 35501 Eddy Road in Willoughby, excluded Blacks into the 1950s, leading to court-ordered desegregation in 1956 that applied to it and Sleepy Hollow Country Club in Brecksville. Additional information coming soon.
Louise Smith of Cleveland purchased the 23-acre former Sokol Camp in the Twinsburg Heights area of northern Summit County in 1952. The Czech organization had operated the camp since 1934. The wooded property offered a lake, dance hall, indoor and outdoor dining areas, tennis court, cabins, pony rides, and a playground. As with many other […]
Seneca Golf Course is located at 975 Metropolitan Park Drive in Broadview Heights. Into the 1950s it was, with Highland Park Golf Course, one of only two golf courses fully open to African Americans. Additional information coming soon.
Sleepy Hollow Country Club at 9445 Brecksville Rd in Independence opened in 1924 on land leased from the Cleveland Metropolitan Park Board. Like most golf clubs around Cleveland, it excluded African Americans long into the postwar period, leading to court-ordered desegregation there and at Manakiki Country Club in Willoughby in 1956. Sleepy Hollow became a […]