John C. Jackson of Chagrin Falls, a white guard at Chase Brass and Copper Co., was born in 1905 on a 96-acre farm in Moreland Hills village on the corner of S.O.M. Center Road and Jackson Road, the latter of which was named for his father, Charles W. Jackson. John C. Jackson acquired a number […]
Farms & Country Homes
The Frank Handy Farm was located on Holbrook Road off Franklin Street near Chagrin Falls Park. Handy, a native of New Iberia, Louisiana, moved to Cleveland in the early 1900s and earned money by gigging on the alto saxophone before opening a confectionery business at East 43rd and Cedar Avenue. Handy, who was a great […]
The Cedar Country Club appears in the Green Book in 1939 on Route 43 in Solon under the category Country Clubs. The club’s actual location was south of Rt. 43 on Cochran Road. In 1935, Bennie and Blanche Mason acquired the farm where they started Cedar Country Club the following year. It featured horse stables, […]
An advertisement for Sanders and Sons Farm in the Call & Post on September 1, 1951, directed readers to follow Route 422 to Franklin Road in Chagrin Falls. From there, they would proceed to Woodland Avenue in Chagrin Falls Park, a semirural Black enclave to the south of the village. Turning right onto Geneva Street, […]
Additional information coming soon.
The farm of Mr. & Mrs. George Biles on Route 91 in Solon was described as a “thickly wooded section” and was variously noted as having 148 or 160 acres. The Biles family leased the farm as tenants from John C. Jackson, a white landowner in Chagrin Falls, in 1939. It was the location for […]
Exact location unknown (Geneva, Ohio) Additional information coming soon.
Duncan’s Farm was located at 5254 Riverview Rd, south of Peninsula, Ohio. It is mentioned on rare occasions in the late 1930s and early 1940s as the site of picnics and raccoon hunts. No further information is available.
Joseph Goins’s farm was located near Chagrin Falls. No further information is available.
The James Farm was located on Route 534 in Harpersville Township near its border with Trumbull Township. Percy and Blanche James purchased the 25-acre farm in 1956. The Jameses hosted Black vacationers and picnickers, as reported occasionally in the Call & Post. Additional information coming soon.