The Mathews Hotel was Akron’s main Black hotel. Owned by George W. Mathews, the hotel was located at 77 N. Howard Street. Born on a farm in Thomaston, Georgia, in 1897, Mathews worked as a waiter in a Montgomery, Alabama, hotel from 1915 to 1920. He migrated to Akron in 1925 and opened the Exchange […]
Hotels & Boarding Houses
The Manhattan Hotel opened in 1949 at Superior Avenue and East 105th Street in Glenville. It operated until sometime in the 1960s. Additional information coming soon
Gay Crosse and Leroy Crump owned and operated Gay’s Hotel and the Gay’s Drive-In-Bar-B-Q restaurant behind it at 2117 East 83rd Street between Carnegie and Cedar Avenues in the 1950s. Crosse was also the saxophonist frontman for a band called the Good Humor Six. Additional information coming soon
Mrs. McCray appears in the Green Book from 1940-1946 at 2416 E. 40th St. in the category Tourist Homes. No further information is available.
Pershing appears in the Green Book from 1949-1950 at 6412 Cottage Ave. under the category Hotels. This appears to have been an error, as the business in question seems to have been located in Chicago, Illinois.
Phillis Wheatley Association appears in the Green Book from 1939-1962 at 4300 Cedar Ave. under the category Hotels. The organization, actually located at 4450 Cedar Ave., was founded by Jane Edna Hunter in 1911. It built the nine-story Emeritus House in 1927. Additional information coming soon. Resources Kusmer, Kenneth L. A Ghetto Takes Shape: Black […]
Ward Apartment Hotel appears in the Green Book from 1938-1966 at 4113 Cedar Ave. under the category Hotels. The hotel’s proprietor and manager was William T. Ward, Sr., a native of Leesville, Virginia, who got his start in the hotel business as a bellhop at Old Monongahela Hotel in Pittsburgh. He moved to Cleveland in […]
Mrs. Fannie Gilmer appears in the Green Book from 1954-1957 at 10519 Kimberly Ave. in the category Tourist Homes. No further information is available.
Carnegie Hotel appears in the Green Book from 1946-1947, 1949-1950, and 1954-1967 at 6903 Carnegie Ave. under the category Hotels. The correct address was 6803 Carnegie Ave. Hotel owners Earnestine and Eddie Eadie sold their interests in the sixty-room hostelry in 1947 to Alonzo Wright, who also operated the Majestic Hotel on East 55th Street. […]
Cedar Branch YMCA appears in the Green Book from 1938-1967 (with the exception of 1947) at E. 76th St. & Cedar under the category Hotels. Additional information coming soon. Resources “Search Results [Cedar Branch YMCA].” Cleveland Memory. https://clevelandmemory.contentdm.oclc.org/digital/search/searchterm/Cedar%20Branch%20YMCA. “Young Men’s Christian Assn.” Encyclopedia of Cleveland History. https://case.edu/ech/articles/y/young-mens-christian-assn.