Green Book Details Check-Inn-Lunch appears in the Green Book in 1940 at 691 Edgewood St. (Edgewood Ave.) in Akron under the category Restaurants. Additional information coming soon.
Restaurants & Taverns
Green Book Details Garden City appears in the Green Book from 1947 to 1955 at 124 N. Howard St. in Akron under the category Taverns. See also Garden City Hotel. Additional information coming soon.
Sadie Brooks operated Brooks’ Grille on Akron’s North Howard Street. Green Book Details Brooks’ Grille appears as “Brook’s” in the Green Book from 1939 to 1953 at 42 N. Howard St. in Akron under the category Taverns. Additional information coming soon. Resources Brooks’ Grille ad. Call & Post. December 24, 1936.
Pickin’ Chicken was located at 8510 Cedar Avenue in the 1950s. Additional information coming soon
Jazzman Frank Handy owned the Corner Tavern at 7800 Cedar Avenue and the Paradise Bar at 4410 Woodland Avenue. Both taverns served Chinese and American food and brought in musical entertainment in the 1940s. Additional information coming soon
Gay Crosse was a well-known Cleveland musician from the mid-1930s to 1950s, but many do not know that he was a local business owner. Through Crosse’s illustrious career as a saxophone player and front man for the band Good Humor Six, he was able to save his earnings and become the owner and operator of […]
Mercury Bar was a popular spot in Cleveland’s Glenville neighborhood and was quite notable in its prime. Its most influential owner, Howard Meckley, was one of the first Black people in the Cleveland area to be granted the D-5 nightclub license, and made many other strides as a Black business owner at the time. He […]
Bama’s Bar-B-Q was a barbecue restaurant owned by J. H. James on Cedar Avenue near East 86th Street in the 1930s-40s. In 1941 the owner gave up half of his space for Yee’s Chop Suey and became solely a takeout spot. Bama’s moved in 1942 to a location one block west of where it started. […]
The Log Cabin was a popular tavern opened in 1934 by Willie Pierson and Rodger Price at 2290 East 55th Street before expanding into the adjacent storefront at 2294 two years later. Pierson, a Guthrie, Oklahoma, native and World War I veteran who would go on to be one of the first African American homeowners […]
The Manhattan Restaurant, located on 9903 Cedar Avenue, had been owned and operated by Beulah Norton Penn for ten years when she married African American businessman Fleet Slaughter in 1952. Slaughter, who was the former manager of the men’s locker room at the Shaker Heights Country Club and a World War II veteran, was determined […]
Mike’s Brown Derby was a bar on Woodland Avenue that was opened in 1945 by Mike Joseph in a building that had previously housed a wholesale grocery. The bar was soon listed in the Green Book and became a go-to drinking spot for many Black Clevelanders. It was integrated, although there were separate areas that […]
Scatter’s Barbecue was a popular restaurant owned and operated by Herman “Scatter” Stephens, a larger-than-life figure in Cleveland’s vibrant barbecue scene at the time. Located at 931 East 105th Street in Glenville, Scatter’s Barbecue offered what some considered to be some of the best barbecue in the Midwest. The owner and namesake of Scatter’s, Herman […]