Happy Days Camp was a youth camp and picnic ground constructed in Virginia Kendall Park between 1933 and 1938 by Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) workers on Route 303 a mile west of Route 8 near Peninsula. In 1955 the Akron Chapter of the NAACP held a picnic there. Additional information coming soon.
Goodrich Farm Camp was located in Hudson, Ohio. The summer camp was a program operated by Goodrich House, a settlement house at East 55th Street at St. Clair Avenue in Cleveland. The camp started in 1898 in Willoughby and moved to Hudson fourteen years later. African American children started attending the camp soon thereafter following […]
Hiram House Camp is located on Hiram Trail, the eastern extension of Harvard Road in Moreland Hills in eastern Cuyahoga County. The camp has its roots in the Hiram House social settlement that was located on Orange Avenue on the edge of Cleveland’s Cedar-Central district. Beginning in the 1890s, it operated various camps at outlying […]
River Road Camp was located on the present-day site of River Grove picnic area in North Chagrin Reservation in Willoughby Hills. With Centerville Mills Camp in Aurora, River Road Camp was one of two YMCA camps in the rural area east of Cleveland. The camp had its origins in a program operated jointly by the […]
Camp Cheerful opened in 1945 by the Society for Crippled Children as the nation’s first camp designed especially for children with disabilities. It is located in Mill Stream Run Reservation near Strongsville. In its early years the camp operated on a segregated basis but eventually integrated its programs. Additional information coming soon. Resources “Handicapped Youth […]
Camp Cleveland, now known as Camp George Forbes, is located at 25440 Harvard Road in Highland Hills. Additional information coming soon.
Camp Merriam was located along Lake Erie in Lorain, Ohio. It was operated by the Phillis Wheatley Association until 1938. Additional information coming soon.
Camp Mueller is located on Akron-Peninsula Road in the Cuyahoga Valley National Park north of Cuyahoga Falls and was started by the Phillis Wheatley Association in 1939 as an interracial camp for inner-city children. Additional information coming soon. Resources “Phillis Wheatley Association.” Cleveland Historical. https://clevelandhistorical.org/items/show/19. Phillis Wheatley Association (Oral History Collection). Cleveland Voices. https://clevelandvoices.org/collections/show/58.
Centerville Mills Camp was located in Bainbridge Township north of Aurora. The Cedar Branch YMCA in Cleveland held summer camps there each summer. Like the other regional YMCA campground, River Road Camp, Centerville Mills segregated campers by schedule, offering white campers their choice of multiple weeks but allowing just one week each summer for African […]
Located on Riverview Road in the Brecksville Reservation of the Cleveland Metroparks, Chippewa Valley Camp was home to the Playhouse Settlement (Karamu House)’s summer camp from 1923 to 1947. The camp was part of a broader collaboration between the Cleveland Metropolitan Park Board and the Cleveland Welfare Federation. Additional information coming soon. Resources Raponi, Richard. […]