Breezy-Air Country Club, later known simply as Johnson’s Farm, was a popular summer resort owned by attorney and civil rights activist Harvey J. Johnson and his wife Helena. The farm was on Ledge Road off old Route 8 between Northfield and Macedonia on land that had previously been the Summit Hunt Club. Born in Griffin, […]
Locust Farm was a popular suburban retreat located near Franklin Road to the south of Chagrin Falls. Locust Farm was often called the Alexander Farm because Dr. and Mrs. John A. Alexander of Cleveland owned it. According to one ad that appeared in the Call & Post, Locust Farm promised “dancing, food, watermelon, baseball, horse […]
R. M. R. Ranch Club was a 100-acre farm outside Elyria, Ohio, that was in operation during the 1950s. The summer resort featured a picnic ground, club room, dining room, horseback riding, hayrides, horseshoe pitching, tennis, and croquet. To accommodate visitors from greater distances, the R. M. R. Ranch Club offered overnight guest rooms. In […]
Stonibrook was a Black summer resort owned by Bill and Ann Johnson in the vicinity of Northampton Road, close to where Blossom Music Center later opened. In 1957, the resort suffered complete destruction in an arson attack that appeared to be racially motivated. Additional information coming soon. Resources Williams, Bob. “Mystery Fire Razes Negro Resort: […]
The Cedar Country Club appears in the Green Book in 1939 on Route 43 in Solon under the category Country Clubs. The club’s actual location was south of Rt. 43 on Cochran Road. In 1935, Bennie and Blanche Mason acquired the farm where they started Cedar Country Club the following year. It featured horse stables, […]
Maple Hollow Country Club was a site for organizations’ picnics. It was organized in the 1920s by a syndicate of prominent Black Clevelanders and was located on or near Route 422 in Parkman. The Great Depression stalled plans to develop it into Northeast Ohio’s answer to Michigan’s Idlewild, one of the nation’s preeminent African American […]
Burton’s Beach, or Burton Beach, in Ashtabula County offered “cottages, dine-dance, picnic grove, swimming, tennis, baseball,” according to a 1935 ad. Additional information coming soon. Resources Burton’s Beach advertisement. Call & Post. June 6, 1935.
Louise Smith of Cleveland purchased the 23-acre former Sokol Camp in the Twinsburg Heights area of northern Summit County in 1952. The Czech organization had operated the camp since 1934. The wooded property offered a lake, dance hall, indoor and outdoor dining areas, tennis court, cabins, pony rides, and a playground. As with many other […]