Alberta’s Beauty Shop appears in the Green Book from 1946-1955 at 8203 Cedar Ave. under the category Beauty Parlors. Additional information coming soon.
Alhambra Bowling Co. was located in the Euclid-105th Market building. It was reported for discriminatory treatment of Black bowlers in 1940. Additional information coming soon. Resources “Call-Post Columnist Wins Cash for Bowling Jim-Crow.” Call & Post. February 1, 1941.
Alonzo Wright Sohio Service Stations appears in the Green Book from 1938-1947 at E. 92nd & Cedar under the category Service Stations. Beginning in 1941, includes “7 Convenient Locations.” A related entry – listed simply as “Sohio” – appears in the Green Book from 1939-1940 at E. 93rd St. & Cedar Ave. under the category […]
Amoco appears in the Green Book from 1947-1955 at Ashbury & E. 105th St. in the category Service Stations. No further information is available.
The Apex Club on Aurora Road in Solon started as a private club for Black patrons sometime in the 1930s. It added a picnic ground and tennis courts in 1937 but appears to have closed the following year. Additional information coming soon.
Bama’s Bar-B-Q was a barbecue restaurant owned by J. H. James at Cedar Avenue and East 86th Street in the 1930s-40s. By the postwar years it also manufactured and sold its hot sauce to local grocers. Additional information coming soon.
Bedford Reservation in the Cleveland metropolitan park system was occasionally referenced as a picnic spot used by African Americans in the 1930s. Later, in 1962, despite many years of Black horseback riding on the Bedford Reservation’s bridle paths, the Black Beauty Riding Club refused to rent its horses to African Americans, claiming that “99 percent […]
Ben’s appears in the 1947 Green Book at 834 E. 105th St. in the category Garages. No further information is available.
Benjamin’s appears in the Green Book from 1946-1955 at E. 55th St. & Central under the category Drug Stores. Additional information coming soon.
The farm of Mr. & Mrs. George Biles on Route 91 in Solon was described as a “thickly wooded section” and was variously noted as having 148 or 160 acres. The Biles family leased the farm as tenants from John C. Jackson, a white landowner in Chagrin Falls, in 1939. It was the location for […]
Blue Grass Club appears in the 1946 Green Book at 8219 Cedar Ave. under the category Taverns. Additional information coming soon.
Brady Lake was an amusement park and leisure destination along Brady Lake between Kent and Ravenna, Ohio. It opened in 1898 and was regionally popular into the mid-20th century. Brady Lake attracted African American leisure-seekers in the interwar years. Additional information coming soon.
Breezy-Air Country Club, later known simply as Johnson’s Farm, was a popular summer resort owned by attorney and civil rights activist Harvey J. Johnson and his wife Helena. The farm was on Ledge Road off old Route 8 between Northfield and Macedonia on land that had previously been the Summit Hunt Club. Born in Griffin, […]
Located in Furnace Run Metro Park, Brushwood Lake was one of two public parks in Summit County (the other being Virginia Kendall Park) whose swimming areas were open to African Americans in the mid 20th century. Brushwood’s swimming area operated only for a few years in the late 1940s and early 1950s. Additional information coming […]
Bryant’s Barber Shop (Arthur L. Bryant, proprietor) appears in the Green Book from 1946-1955 at 9808 Cedar Ave. under the category Barber Shops. In need of more space, the business moved in 1934 from 9402 to 9808 Cedar. Bryant’s Barber Shop was established ca. 1922. Additional information coming soon.
Burton’s Beach, or Burton Beach, in Ashtabula County offered “cottages, dine-dance, picnic grove, swimming, tennis, baseball,” according to a 1935 ad. Additional information coming soon. Resources Burton’s Beach advertisement. Call & Post. June 6, 1935.
The Cabin Inn, later renamed Drift Inn, was a popular Black nightspot near Route 8 in northern Summit County in the 1950s. Additional information coming soon.
Cafe Society appears in the Green Book from 1947-1955 at 966 E. 105th St. under the category Taverns. Additional information coming soon.
Cafe Tia Juana was a jazz club that opened in 1947, replacing Solomon’s Gold Bar at 1045 East 105th Street. Cafe Tia Juana remained until closing in 1969. An earlier Tia Juana Cafe (a Mexican restaurant) at 2134 East 55th Street in the Cedar-Central neighborhood in the early 1940s does not seem to have been […]
Camp Cheerful opened in 1945 by the Society for Crippled Children as the nation’s first camp designed especially for children with disabilities. It is located in Mill Stream Run Reservation near Strongsville. In its early years the camp operated on a segregated basis but eventually integrated its programs. Additional information coming soon. Resources “Handicapped Youth […]
Camp Cleveland, now known as Camp George Forbes, is located at 25440 Harvard Road in Highland Hills. Additional information coming soon.
Camp Merriam was located along Lake Erie in Lorain, Ohio. It was operated by the Phillis Wheatley Association until 1938. Additional information coming soon.
Camp Mueller is located on Akron-Peninsula Road in the Cuyahoga Valley National Park north of Cuyahoga Falls and was started by the Phillis Wheatley Association in 1939 as an interracial camp for inner-city children. Additional information coming soon. Resources “Phillis Wheatley Association.” Cleveland Historical. https://clevelandhistorical.org/items/show/19. Phillis Wheatley Association (Oral History Collection). Cleveland Voices. https://clevelandvoices.org/collections/show/58.
Carnegie Hotel appears in the Green Book from 1946-1947, 1949-1950, and 1954-1967 at 6903 Carnegie Ave. under the category Hotels. The correct address was 6803 Carnegie Ave. Hotel owners Earnestine and Eddie Eadie sold their interests in the sixty-room hostelry in 1947 to Alonzo Wright, who also operated the Majestic Hotel on East 55th Street. […]
Cassie’s Restaurant appears in the Green Book from 1946-1954 at 2284 E. 55th St. under the category Restaurants. Additional information coming soon.
Cedar Branch YMCA appears in the Green Book from 1938-1967 (with the exception of 1947) at E. 76th St. & Cedar under the category Hotels. Additional information coming soon. Resources “Search Results [Cedar Branch YMCA].” Cleveland Memory. https://clevelandmemory.contentdm.oclc.org/digital/search/searchterm/Cedar%20Branch%20YMCA. “Young Men’s Christian Assn.” Encyclopedia of Cleveland History. https://case.edu/ech/articles/y/young-mens-christian-assn.
The Cedar Country Club appears in the Green Book in 1939 on Route 43 in Solon under the category Country Clubs. The club’s actual location was south of Rt. 43 on Cochran Road. In 1935, Bennie and Blanche Mason acquired the farm where they started Cedar Country Club the following year. It featured horse stables, […]
Cedar Gardens Restaurant was a night spot that achieved regional and even national renown as a “black and tan” club in the 1930s and 1940s. Jacob Hecht opened Cedar Gardens at 9706 Cedar Avenue in January 1934. Hecht hired Ulysses S. “Sweets” Dearing to manage the restaurant, which in spite of advertising “Chinese and American” […]
Centerville Mills Camp was located in Bainbridge Township north of Aurora. The Cedar Branch YMCA in Cleveland held summer camps there each summer. Like the other regional YMCA campground, River Road Camp, Centerville Mills segregated campers by schedule, offering white campers their choice of multiple weeks but allowing just one week each summer for African […]
The Central Avenue Public Baths building still stands at 2526 Central Avenue. It housed a pool that was one of only two in the city where African American swimmers were openly welcome in the earlier decades of the 20th century. More information coming soon.
Chestnut Beach hosted various organizations’ outings and offered outdoor recreation and dancing. In 1937, it hosted the “All Ohio-Pennsylvania Negro outing.” The precise location is unclear. It was described as being “reached via route 8 and route 526.” The latter highway, now defunct, ran from East Akron through Mogadore to Route 43 in Suffield Township. […]
Located on Riverview Road in the Brecksville Reservation of the Cleveland Metroparks, Chippewa Valley Camp was home to the Playhouse Settlement (Karamu House)’s summer camp from 1923 to 1947. The camp was part of a broader collaboration between the Cleveland Metropolitan Park Board and the Cleveland Welfare Federation. Additional information coming soon. Resources Raponi, Richard. […]
Circle Theatre was located at 10208 Euclid Avenue in the city’s so-called “second downtown” that centered on Euclid and E. 105th. The theater opened as the Hoffman in 1920, became the Circle in 1927, and operated until 1959. In the 1950s, as the adjacent Hough neighborhood transitioned to a majority Black area, the entertainment businesses […]
Craig Beach was a small amusement park, beach, and picnic ground along the western shore of Lake Milton in the northwest corner of Mahoning County. Black patrons frustrated by the Jim Crow policies at Youngstown’s Idora Park traveled eighteen miles to Craig Beach in 1937 for their annual “Negro Day” outing. The Pittsburgh Courier reported […]
Creole Kitchen (or Creole Inn) appears in the 1939 Green Book at 7820 Cedar Ave. under the category Taverns. Additional information coming soon.
Crystal Beach was a lakeside amusement park that operated in Vermilion, Ohio, from 1907 to 1962. In 1932, the Cleveland Plain Dealer reported that the Cuyahoga County Lodge of Colored Elks held its annual picnic at Crystal Beach, suggested that African American visitors were able to use at least the picnic grounds at the park. […]
Dearing’s was one of a number of restaurants that Ulysses S. Dearing operated in Cleveland. Originally called Dearing’s Tasty Shop and located at 9615 Cedar Avenue, it moved later to 1035 East 105th Street in Glenville, next door to Cafe Tia Juana. Additional information coming soon.
Deluxe Beauty Bar (or Unique De Luxe) appears in the Green Book from 1947-1950 at 2408 E. 79th St. in the category Beauty Parlors. No further information is available.
Diamond Lake Park was located along Mayfield Road (Route 322) somewhere just west of Chesterland. It hosted a range of group outings, including those of African Americans. Additional information coming soon.
Dixon’s appears in the 1949 and 1950 Green Books at 8904 Cedar Ave. in the category Service Stations. No further information is available.
Douglas Texaco Stations appears in the Green Book from 1946-1951 at E. 93rd & Cedar Ave. under the category Service Stations. Other known locations include E. 90th and Carnegie and E. 107th and Fairhill. Additional information coming soon.
Douglass Club (operated by Walter Ellis) appears in the Green Book under the name “Douglass” from 1946-1955 at 7917 Cedar Ave. under the category Night Clubs. Additional information coming soon.
Driskell’s Barber Shop (or Driskill) appears in the Green Book from 1947-1955 at 1243 E. 105th St. in the category Barber Shops. No further information is available.
Exact location unknown (Geneva, Ohio) Additional information coming soon.
Duncan’s Farm was located at 5254 Riverview Rd, south of Peninsula, Ohio. It is mentioned on rare occasions in the late 1930s and early 1940s as the site of picnics and raccoon hunts. No further information is available.
East 9th Street Pier was the principal Cleveland dock for passenger ships that plied Lake Erie into the mid-20th century. It was also home to a popular restaurant, Captain Frank’s Seafood House. Additional information coming soon.
Edgewater Park Beach is located along the Cleveland Memorial Shoreway west of downtown Cleveland. For much of its history it was racially exclusionary, both for swimmers and boaters. African Americans had to go to Lorain and Sandusky because Cleveland lakefront, including Edgewater, was barred to them for launching boats into the mid-1950s. Additional information coming […]
El Morocco Lounge Bar (or El Morocco Club) appears erroneously in the 1946 Green Book at 217 E. 55th St. under the category Taverns. Its true location was 8219 Cedar Avenue. Additional information coming soon. Resources: El Morocco Lounge grand opening advertisement. Call & Post. February 12, 1944.