The Apex Club was a private music club, and could even be considered a country club, for African Americans during the early to mid-1930s. Conveniently located seven miles away from central downtown Cleveland, it sat on route forty-three also known as Aurora Road in Solon. Club owner Charles V. Carr was a very prominent African American attorney during this time. Carr’s success led him to be a councilman later in his life. The club featured both indoor and outdoor events such as dancing, dining, tennis, softball, and picnics. In 1937 Apex Club went through some major renovations adding new tennis courts and revamping the ballroom and dining rooms. It even had a menu overhaul adding food such as fresh steaks and milk-fed chicken. Sadly, Apex Club closed later that year, most likely due to being closed for six months previously for the renovations and lack of business during that time.
- “Apex Club Now Open.” Cleveland Call and Post (1934-1962), May 28, 1936.
- NEWS FROM THE, BIG APPLE. “ON THE AVENUE WITH T.D.S.” Cleveland Call and Post (1934-1962), Apr 22, 1937. 9,
- “PLAN EXTENSION OF APEX SERVICES.” 1937.Cleveland Call and Post (1934-1962), Apr 29, 12.