Breezy-Air Country Club, later known simply as Johnson’s Farm, was a popular summer resort owned by attorney and civil rights activist Harvey J. Johnson and his wife Helena. The farm was on Ledge Road off old Route 8 between Northfield and Macedonia on land that had previously been the Summit Hunt Club. Born in Griffin, Georgia, in 1901, Johnson moved to Tennessee in the 1910s and eventually reached Cleveland, where he was active in the Future Outlook League’s efforts on behalf of Black civil rights. In 1946, the Johnsons opened the Breezy-Air Country Club and Breezy-Air Riding Academy, later called simply Johnson’s Farm. Among its attractions were horse shows and a golf driving range. In 1957 the Pennsylvania Railroad tried to strong-arm the Johnsons into selling their farm for far less than it was worth. The couple took the railroad to Common Pleas Court and obtained an order for the railroad to pay nearly double the amount it had tried to force the Johnsons to accept. Thus ended the run of Johnson’s Farm.
Additional information coming soon.
- “Harvey Johnson Eulogized.” Call & Post. December 11, 1976.
- “Sale of Johnson Farm Nets Owner $127,804.” Call & Post. April 6, 1957.