Carnegie Hotel appears in the Green Book from 1946-1947, 1949-1950, and 1954-1967 at 6903 Carnegie Ave. under the category Hotels. The correct address was 6803 Carnegie Ave. Hotel owners Earnestine and Eddie Eadie sold their interests in the sixty-room hostelry in 1947 to Alonzo Wright, who also operated the Majestic Hotel on East 55th Street. […]
1963-1964 Green Book
Cedar Branch YMCA appears in the Green Book from 1938-1967 (with the exception of 1947) at E. 76th St. & Cedar under the category Hotels. Additional information coming soon. Resources “Search Results [Cedar Branch YMCA].” Cleveland Memory. https://clevelandmemory.contentdm.oclc.org/digital/search/searchterm/Cedar%20Branch%20YMCA. “Young Men’s Christian Assn.” Encyclopedia of Cleveland History. https://case.edu/ech/articles/y/young-mens-christian-assn.
Majestic Hotel appears in the Green Book from 1938-1967 at 2291 E. 55th St. under the category Hotels. See also Heat Wave and Majestic Barber Shop. Additional information coming soon. Resources Morris, Shawn. “Majestic Hotel.” Cleveland Historical. https://clevelandhistorical.org/items/show/636 “Majestic Hotel.” Encyclopedia of Cleveland History. https://case.edu/ech/articles/m/majestic-hotel
Manhattan Restaurant and Tap Room appears in the Green Book from 1946-1967 at 9903 Cedar Ave. under the category Restaurants. The restaurant was operated by Beulah Norton Penn from 1942 to 1952, when her husband Fleet Slaughter joined her in running it until 1960. In that year they opened Lancer Steakhouse at 7707 Carnegie Avenue. […]
Mrs. Fannie Gilmer appears in the Green Book from 1954-1957 at 10519 Kimberly Ave. in the category Tourist Homes. No further information is available.
State Restaurant appears in the Green Book from 1947-1967 at 7817 Cedar Ave. under the category Restaurants. Additional information coming soon.
Ward Apartment Hotel appears in the Green Book from 1938-1966 at 4113 Cedar Ave. under the category Hotels. The hotel’s proprietor and manager was William T. Ward, Sr., a native of Leesville, Virginia, who got his start in the hotel business as a bellhop at Old Monongahela Hotel in Pittsburgh. He moved to Cleveland in […]
Wilkins School of Cosmetology appears in the Green Book from 1941-1951 under the category Beauty Parlors. The first address listed is “Phillis Wheatley Bldg.” In 1951, the address is changed to 2112 E. 46th St. Duplicate entries at 2112 E. 46th St. are listed as “Wilkins” from 1947-1955 under the category Beauty Parlors, and as […]