Not Listed in Green Book

Gordon Park

Gordon Park is a public park owned and administered by the City of Cleveland. The park offered public access to water through its swimming beach and small boats. Cleveland residents could easily reach it by public transport or by car. The park was integrated during the 1940s, but racist incidents remained common. Shifts in the […]

Handy Farm

The Handy Farm was located on Holbrook Road off Franklin Road near Chagrin Falls Park. Frank Handy, a native of New Iberia, Louisiana, moved to Cleveland in 1916 and earned money by gigging on the alto saxophone before opening a confectionery business at East 43rd and Cedar Avenue. Handy, who was a great nephew of […]

Hub-Bub Record Shop & Realty Co.

Lina Derritt opened the Hub-Bub Record Shop with her husband Robert in 1945 at 1208 East 105th Street. The store moved to 1160 East 105th in 1947, then to 1282 East 105th in 1954, and finally to 12431 Superior by 1959. Derritt, who migrated from Nashville to Cleveland with her mother in 1917, was reportedly […]


The Irene was a listing in Hackley & Harrison’s Hotel and Apartment Guide for Colored Travelers in 1930. It was an apartment building that was erroneously listed at 3514 Prospect Avenue, but according to the 1927 Cleveland atlas it was actually at 4407 Carnegie Avenue. No further information is known. Resources Hackley & Harrison’s Hotel […]

Jack’s Musical Bar

Originally known as the Cedar Tavern in the 1930s, Jack’s Musical Bar was located at 6608 Cedar Avenue. It featured jazz and blues musicians for several decades. In later years it turned into a sports bar before closing in the early 2000s. By 2019, its evocative sign disappeared, leaving only a barren, boarded-up building and […]

James Farm

James Farm was a 25-acre farm that was purchased in 1921 by Percy and Blanche James. Mrs. Blanche James was the gracious hostess of the property and guests enjoyed her company. The farm was located on Route 534 in Harpersville Township in Ashtabula County near Trumbull Township and about eight miles from Geneva-on-the-Lake. The property […]

Jones Farm

The Black employees of the May Co. department store held a picnic at Jones’ Farm near Chagrin Falls in 1937. The farm’s location is not yet known, but it may be have been the property of Thomas Jones, a farmer from Kentucky who appears in the 1940 census in Chagrin Falls Park. Additional information coming […]

Lake Glen

Lake Glen, sometimes spelled Lake Glenn in newspaper coverage, was a Black country club and entertainment venue located at 4572 Akron-Cleveland Road, nestled in the Cuyahoga Valley between Peninsula and Cuyahoga Falls. The club, in operation from 1950 to 1964, was approximately 26 miles away from Cleveland and sat on 13 acres of land. It […]

Lake Shore Country Club

Lake Shore Country Club in Bratenahl opened as a nine-hole public golf course during World War II after being reconfigured from an eighteen-hole course following the departure of The Country Club to Pepper Pike. The Cleveland Golf Club, adjacent to and affiliated with The Country Club (with which it later merged) had originally opened to […]

Leo’s Casino

Leo’s first opened in 1952 at 4817 Central Avenue and was owned by Leo Frank. It operated as a bar, but later expanded to a jazz room. In 1962, Leo’s burned down, and in 1963, Frank opened Leo’s Casino at 7500 Euclid Avenue. The club was known for having racially mixed audiences despite high tensions […]

Liberty Hall

Liberty Hall was the headquarters of the Cleveland branch of the United Negro Improvement Association (UNIA) beginning in 1923. Better known as the local home of a fraternal and reform organization originally founded in Jamaica in 1914 by Marcus Garvey to promote anticolonialism, Pan-Africanism, and Black advancement, Liberty Hall was also the site of a […]

Luna Park

Luna Park was an amusement park on Cleveland’s East Side constructed by Ingersoll Construction Co. of Pittsburgh and created by Fred Ingersoll. The park occupied a 35-acre triangular site which was located at Woodhill Road and Woodland Avenue. The architectural style of the park was a combination of Egyptian, Gothic, Italian Renaissance and Japanese. Construction […]

Mercury Bar

Mercury Bar was a popular spot in Cleveland’s Glenville neighborhood and was quite notable in its prime. Its most influential owner, Howard Meckley, was one of the first Black people in the Cleveland area to be granted the D-5 nightclub license, and made many other strides as a Black business owner at the time. He […]

Metropolitan Theatre

The Agora is a legendary rock and roll music hall whose history is well known. Most accounts of the Agora’s history rightly point out its start as the Metropolitan Theatre in 1913 and its nearly three-decade run in the 1950s-70s as the home of radio stations WHK and WMMS before becoming Hank LoConti’s proving ground […]

Meyers Lake Park

Meyers Lake Park was a lakeside picnic ground and amusement park near Canton. The earliest mention of African Americans visiting “Meyer’s lake” was in 1896, when an excursion organized by the Cleveland L’Ouverture Rifles brought about 500 Black visitors from Cleveland, Akron, Massillon, and other points meet Ohio governor and future U.S. president William McKinley. […]

Midway Lake

Midway Lake Outdoor Club was a 125-acre farm with club house on Route 322 east of Windsor in Orwell Township in southwestern Ashtabula County. Marvin and Georgie Rutherford, both originally from Georgia, traveled each summer in the 1950s with other couples to Idlewild, a famed Black resort on a small lake located about forty miles […]

Mix’s End

Mix’s End was a nightspot with live music, dancing, games, and southern-style barbecue. It was located at the corner of Stanford and Yale Streets just off Hadden Road in the Twinsburg Heights area of northern Summit County. Owned by Charles Mix, the club appeared only once in an advertisement in 1959. State agents raided Mix’s […]

Mrs. L. J. Debnam

Mrs. L. J. Debnam ran a tourist home offering rooms and meals at 58 East College Street in Oberlin in the early 1930s. Additional information coming soon. Resources The Travelers Guide. Philadelphia: Hackley & Harrison Publishing Co., 1931. New York Public Library.

Music Box

The Music Box was a very large and popular music club that opened its doors in 1960. Located at 10616 Euclid Avenue, it was across Euclid from where another popular music club of the time, Towne Casino, was located nine years prior. The Music Box hosted a variety of entertainment acts ranging from jazz musicians, […]

Northside Pool

Northside Pool in Youngstown was maintained as a whites-only pool into the 1940s despite African American attempts to integrate it. Additional information coming soon. Resources “Cleveland Sympathizers Trek To Youngstown For Riot Trial.” Call & Post. July 20, 1940. Wiltse, Jeff. Contested Waters: A Social History of Swimming Pools in America. Chapel Hill: University of […]

Oak Grove Picnic Area

Oak Grove Picnic Area in the Brecksville Reservation was the site of Black organizations’ picnics. As one example, the Glenville Area Council sponsored a picnic for Glenville residents that attracted 1,000 people to the venue in 1958. Additional information coming soon. Resources Sears, Art, Jr. “Call & Post Goes to Glenville Area Picnic.” Call & […]

Oak Knoll Park

Oak Knoll Park in Massillon hosted Black organizations’ outings in the pre–World War II years, including the Massillon Negro Civic Council’s picnic and dance in 1939, which also involved the Massillon Urban League, St. James A.M.E. Zion, Friendship Baptist, and Shiloh Baptist Churches. The festivities included baseball and other games and a “jitterbug hop” in […]

Pete’s Subway Record Shop

Pete’s Subway Record Shop was variously listed at 9108 or 9110 Cedar Avenue and specialized in jazz, blues, and gospel records. Its name reflected the nickname of its owner, Arthur B. (Pete) Carvest and the fact that the shop got its start in a small rear basement space before moving upstairs to a street-facing storefront. […]