Author: Green Book Cleveland Team

Alhambra Bowling Center

Alhambra Bowling Co. was located in the Euclid-105th Market building. It was reported for discriminatory treatment of Black bowlers in 1940. By the late 1950s it was known for its Algerian Lounge (formerly the Algiers), which hosted African American musical acts. Additional information coming soon. Resources “Call-Post Columnist Wins Cash for Bowling Jim-Crow.” Call & […]

Babe’s Baby Grand Lounge

Babe’s Baby Grand Lounge at 5522 Euclid Avenue originally opened in 1959 as Babe’s Harlem Cafe. It was among the earliest Black-owned businesses on Euclid Avenue. Proprietor Babe Brondfield had previously operated Club Congo on Woodland Avenue until it burned in 1957. He then started operating the Harlem Cafe, located almost in the shadow of […]

Brady Lake

Brady Lake was an amusement park and leisure destination along Brady Lake between Kent and Ravenna, Ohio. It opened in 1898 and was regionally popular into the mid-20th century. Brady Lake attracted African American leisure-seekers in the interwar years. An article in 1935 about a jazz concert noted that Brady Lake “will be turned over […]

Brownwood Acres

Brownwood Acres was the country estate of Dr. Stanley and Viola Brown of Glenville. It was located in Shalersville Township north of Ravenna and hosted a number of picnics and social outings in the late 1940s to mid 1950s. The estate suffered significant damage in a 1956 tornado. Additional information coming soon.

Cafe Society

Cafe Society opened in 1945 at 966 E. 105th Street. Advertising itself as “Glenville’s swankiest,” Cafe Society featured a circular bar. The club was a mainstay for jazz music into the 1980s. The building is one of a rare few Cleveland Green Book sites that still stands today, housing the Khnemu Foundation Lighthouse Outreach Center. […]

Camp Cheerful

Camp Cheerful opened in 1945 by the Society for Crippled Children as the nation’s first camp designed especially for children with disabilities. It is located in Mill Stream Run Reservation near Strongsville. In its early years the camp operated on a segregated basis but eventually integrated its programs. Additional information coming soon. Resources “Handicapped Youth […]

Camp Mueller

Camp Mueller is located on Akron-Peninsula Road in the Cuyahoga Valley National Park north of Cuyahoga Falls and was started by the Phillis Wheatley Association in 1939 as an interracial camp for inner-city children. Additional information coming soon. Resources “Phillis Wheatley Association.” Cleveland Historical. https://clevelandhistorical.org/items/show/19. Phillis Wheatley Association (Oral History Collection). Cleveland Voices. https://clevelandvoices.org/collections/show/58. Vasarhelyi, […]

Camp Robin Hood

Camp Robin Hood was a camp near Burton in Geauga County that opened in 1937 to serve the children of unionized workers regardless of race or creed. At some point it moved to a site along the Grand River near Geneva but appears to have have closed before 1950. Additional information coming soon.

Chestnut Beach

Chestnut Beach hosted various organizations’ outings and offered outdoor recreation and dancing. In 1937, it hosted the “All Ohio-Pennsylvania Negro outing.” The precise location is unclear. It was described as being “reached via route 8 and route 526.” The latter highway, now defunct, ran from East Akron through Mogadore to Route 43 in Suffield Township. […]

Chippewa Valley Camp

Located on Riverview Road in the Brecksville Reservation of the Cleveland Metroparks, Chippewa Valley Camp was home to the Playhouse Settlement (Karamu House)’s summer camp from 1923 to 1947. The camp was part of a broader collaboration between the Cleveland Metropolitan Park Board and the Cleveland Welfare Federation. Additional information coming soon. Resources Raponi, Richard. […]

Clearview Golf Club

Text from Ohio Historical Marker: “Golfer and World War II veteran William J. Powell, excluded from playing on many American golf courses because of his race, overcame the indignity of discrimination by creating his own course. Hand built in two years and opened in 1948, Clearview Golf Club is the first golf course in the […]

Cotton Club

The Cotton Club featured jazz and blues and other entertainment at 2230 East 4th Street. It opened in 1948 and was renamed the Modern Jazz Room in 1957. A highlight was Duke Ellington’s appearance there in 1956. Additional information coming soon. Resources “Duke Ellington Into Cotton Club, Nov. 23.” Call & Post. November 17, 1956.