Pickin’ Chicken was located at 8510 Cedar Avenue in the 1950s. Additional information coming soon
Restaurants & Taverns
Jazzman Frank Handy owned the Corner Tavern at 7800 Cedar Avenue and the Paradise Bar at 4410 Woodland Avenue. Both taverns served Chinese and American food and brought in musical entertainment in the 1940s. Additional information coming soon
Gay Crosse and Leroy Crump owned and operated Gay’s Hotel and the Gay’s Drive-In-Bar-B-Q restaurant behind it at 2117 East 83rd Street between Carnegie and Cedar Avenues in the 1950s. Crosse was also the saxophonist frontman for a band called the Good Humor Six. Additional information coming soon
Mercury Bar was located at 1031-33 E. 105th St. in the so-called “Gold Coast” area, as African Americans dubbed the Glenville neighborhood. The Mercury was in the same block as the famed Cafe Tia Juana and operated upstairs above Dearing’s restaurant. Howard Meckley, who had overcome adversity to be the primary vendor and repairer of […]
Bama’s Bar-B-Q was a barbecue restaurant owned by J. H. James at Cedar Avenue and East 86th Street in the 1930s-40s. By the postwar years it also manufactured and sold its hot sauce to local grocers. Additional information coming soon.
Log Cabin appears in the Green Book from 1939-1946 at 2294 E. 55th St. under the category Taverns. Roger Price and Willie Pierson opened the Log Cabin in 1934 at 2290 East 55th Street and expanded into the adjacent storefront at 2294 two years later. Additional information coming soon. Resources “Log Cabin Grill is Crossroads […]
Manhattan Restaurant and Tap Room appears in the Green Book from 1946-1967 at 9903 Cedar Ave. under the category Restaurants. The restaurant was operated by Beulah Norton Penn from 1942 to 1952, when her husband Fleet Slaughter joined her in running it until 1960. In that year they opened Lancer Steakhouse at 7707 Carnegie Avenue. […]
Mike’s Brown Derby (or simply Brown Derby) appears in the Green Book from 1946-1955 at E. 40th & Woodland Ave. under the category Taverns. Additional information coming soon.
Scatter’s Barbecue was a restaurant located at 931 East 105th Street in Glenville from 1952 until 1983. Operated by Herman “Scatter” Stephens, a native of Georgia who moved to Cleveland in the 1930s, Scatter’s became a local favorite for its shoulder sandwiches. Stephens gradually expanded his enterprise into adjacent storefronts, including a lounge, vending-machine service, […]
Solomon’s Gold Bar Delicatessen & Restaurant (or simply Gold Bar) appears in the Green Book from 1946-1955 at Massie & E. 105th St. under the category Taverns. It was owned by Ben Solomon. Solomon’s Gold Bar Delicatessen & Restaurant moved to 14700 Kinsman Road in 1947 and was replaced by Cafe Tia Juana. It moved […]