Green Book Details R. Wilson appears in the Green Book from 1947 to 1956 at 370 Robert St. in Akron under the category Tourist Homes. Additional information coming soon.
Author: Green Book Cleveland Team
Ranch Picnic Grounds was located on Turney Road in Maple Heights and hosted labor picnics during the World War II years. Additional information coming soon
Ravenna Town & Country Club was a private membership club for African Americans on South Diamond Street at the edge of what was the city limits in the 1960s. It offered a range of leisure and recreation, including a golf course, and social events. The club may have been on the site of present-day Diamond […]
Green Book Details Red Lion Motel appears in the Green Book from 1960 to 1967 at 2019 Hubbard-Coitsville Rd. in Youngstown under the category Hotels. Additional information coming soon.
Green Book Details Renee’s appears in the Green Book from 1949 to 1955 at 321 E. Federal St. in Youngstown under the category Beauty Parlors. Additional information coming soon.
River Road Camp was located on the present-day site of River Grove picnic area in North Chagrin Reservation in Willoughby Hills. With Centerville Mills Camp in Aurora, River Road Camp was one of two YMCA camps in the rural area east of Cleveland. The camp had its origins in a program operated jointly by the […]
Rockefeller Lagoon is located in Rockefeller Park near where Martin Luther King Jr. Drive crosses East 105th Street in University Circle. The lagoon had a boathouse with rowboats, but once African Americans became the majority in the surrounding Glenville neighborhood, the city removed the rowboats in 1953, prompting protests of racial discrimination, but the decision […]
Dempsey Rollins opened the Rollins Service Garage in 1934 at East 40th Street and Central Avenue. Pop Harris was the garage manager. Rollins was born in Atlanta in 1903. At age 15 he got a job as delivering prescriptions by motorcycle for a local druggist. His motorcycle skill led to a stint as a motorcycle […]
Green Book Details Royal Palms Hotel appears in the Green Book from 1950 to 1967 at 625 Hemrod (Himrod Ave.) under the category Hotels. Additional information coming soon.
The Rust-Sanderson Farm was located on Lake Erie at North Perry, Ohio. Its owners, Mr. and Mrs. Rust, hosted the annual picnic of the Loyal Eight Club from the 1930s into the 1960s. Additional information coming soon.
Seneca Golf Course is located at 975 Metropolitan Park Drive in Broadview Heights. Into the 1950s it was, with Highland Park Golf Course, one of only two golf courses fully open to African Americans. Additional information coming soon.
Green Book Details Serv-well appears in the Green Book from 1947 to 1953 at 1283 E. 105th St. under the category Tailors. No further information is available
Slapnicka’s Grove was a picnic ground, dance pavilion, and amusement center located north of Mason’s Farm on Cochran Road. It appeared in the Call & Post only as the site of a clam bake in 1946. Additional information coming soon.
Solomon’s Gold Bar Delicatessen & Restaurant (or simply Gold Bar) was owned by Ben Solomon. It moved to 14700 Kinsman Road in 1947 and was replaced by Cafe Tia Juana. It moved again to 13905 Cedar Rd. in the Cedar Center shopping plaza in South Euclid in 1957. Additional information coming soon. Green Book Details […]
South Chagrin Reservation was a common destination for African American picnic outings and reunions by the early post-World War II years, but it was in the news for a police beating of six men on Memorial Day in 1958 that led the local chapter of the NAACP to investigate the incident. Additional information coming soon. […]
Green Book Details Southside appears in the Green Book in 1939-41 and 1947-55 at 415 Cherry Ave. S. E. in Canton under the category Druggists and later Drug Stores. Additional information coming soon.
Green Book Details Sponteno appears in the Green Book from 1951 to 1954 at 377 E. Federal (St.) in Youngstown under the category Taverns. Additional information coming soon.
Springfield Lake Park in Lakemore outside Akron was at least the occasional site of African American church camp meetings and organizational outings between the 1900s and the 1930s. Additional information coming soon. Resources Cleveland Gazette. June 27, 1903. “Seiberling, B-W, Eagles’ Outing Are Scheduled; All-Nations, Odd Fellows, Vets, Negro Picnics Planned for Week-End.” Akron Beacon […]
Green Book Details Sykes Bros. Garage appears in the Green Book from 1939 to 1947 at 8708 Cedar Ave. and from 1948 to 1950 at 6801 Kinsman Rd. in the category Garages. No further information is available.
Jazzman Frank Handy owned the Corner Tavern at 7800 Cedar Avenue and the Paradise Bar at 4410 Woodland Avenue. Both taverns served Chinese and American food and brought in musical entertainment in the 1940s. Additional information coming soon
The Hot-Shot Riding Academy was a gambling and drinking spot that purported to be an interracial riding academy but, according to the Call & Post, had “few horses, but plenty of ‘white mule.’” It was located two miles east of Oberlin on the Oberlin-Elyria Road. The operation opened in early 1955 and quickly became an […]
Green Book Details The Mecca appears in the Green Book in 1938 and 1939 at 76 Furnace St. in Akron under the category Hotels. Additional information coming soon.
Green Book Details The State appears in the Green Book from 1951 to 1955 at 130 E. Broadman (Boardman St.) in Youngstown under the category Taverns. Additional information coming soon.
Green Book Details The Upperman appears in the Green Book from 1938 to 1950 at 197 Bluff St. in Akron under the category Hotels. Additional information coming soon.
The beach at Turkeyfoot Lake opened in 1957 on an integrated basis, attracting Black swimmers who had previously used the small lake at Virginia Kendall Park. The latter closed in 1956 when the Akron Metropolitan Park Board declared that the cost of upkeep was too much to justify its continuation. African American leaders decried the […]
Green Book Details Underwood appears in the Green Book from 1948 to 1955 at 543 5th Ave. in Youngstown under the category Garages. Additional information coming soon.
United Recreation was the first Black-owned bowling alley in the United States. Located on Cedar Avenue at East 82nd Street, the bowling alley was a response to racial discrimination. Postal worker and pioneering Black bowler J. Elmer Reed started his own bowling league, the National Bowling Association, a block away in 1939. Difficulties in gaining […]
Green Book Details Vanitie Shop appears in the Green Book in 1939-41 and 1947-49 at 528 Cherry Ave. S. E. in Canton under the category Beauty Parlors. Additional information coming soon.
Vim Lunch, also known as Vim Restaurant, was located on the north side of Superior Avenue just west of its intersection with West 3rd Street, diagonally across Superior from Hotel Cleveland (now the Renaissance Hotel). The business opened in 1937, but an earlier restaurant or restaurants were located in the same building going back at […]
Virginia Kendall Park is a section of the Cuyahoga Valley National Park originally developed in the 1930s for the Akron Metropolitan Park system (now Summit Metro Parks) by the Civilian Conservation Corps. Noted for its Ritchie Ledges rock formations, Virginia Kendall has long been a favored hiking and picnicking destination. Black groups and organizations enjoyed […]
Wakeman Country Club was a Black resort outside the Huron County village of Wakeman, roughly halfway between Oberlin and Norwalk. In 1923, inventor and Cleveland Call and Post founder Garrett A. Morgan bought a farm about two miles south of Wakeman along the Vermillion River and envisioned a development there. Wakeman Country Club operated between […]
Wallace Beach (or Wallace’s Beach) was a swimming hole and spot of outdoor recreation along the Aurora Branch of the Chagrin River. The Call & Post made occasional references to Black gatherings at Wallace Beach in the 1930s. The leisure spot featured “many natural beauties to which have been added picnic benches, dance pavilion, refreshment […]
Warren Pool in Warren, Ohio, was the object of a 1940s court battle over segregation. Additional information coming soon. Resources “Warren Pool Case To State Supreme Court: New Legal Fight Looms Between City Officials, NAACP Over Racial Issue.” Call & Post. August 14, 1948. Wiltse, Jeff. Contested Waters: A Social History of Swimming Pools in […]
Crown Prince Waterford, a Jonesboro, Arkansas–born blues musician, opened the Wayside Bar and Motel in Ravenna in 1958. Despite its founding by a noted musician, the business seems to have faded quickly into obscurity. Waterford appears to have sold his interest in the venture within its first few years of operation. No further information is […]
The Wee Motel was a small ten-room motel located in the McGuffey Heights area on Youngstown’s east side. The motel had several rooms in a structure built onto the rear of the owner’s ranch-style home. It was demolished in 2019 several years after closing and falling into a dilapidated state. Green Book Details Wee Motel […]
Green Book Details West Side appears in the Green Book from 1948 to 1953 at 477 W. Federal St. in Youngstown under the category Night Clubs. Additional information coming soon.
Green Book Details West Side Social appears in the Green Book from 1950 to 1955 at 552 W. Federal (St.) in Youngstown under the category Night Clubs. Additional information coming soon.
When 1100 people come to any one corner for any one purpose, somebody has given them SOMETHING to come for. So said the Call & Post about the opening day at Whitmore’s Dream Barbecue at 8318 Cedar Avenue in 1952. But Virgil Whitmore Sr., a native of Dangerfield, Texas, was no newcomer to the barbecue […]
Green Book Details Wilkins Beauty Shop appears in the Green Book from 1947-1955 at 12813 Kinsman Rd under the category Beauty Parlors. See also Wilkins School of Cosmetology. Additional information coming soon.
Willow Beach Park was located along Lake Erie on Route 283 in Willowick and was a picnic and recreational site that Black groups visited between the 1900s and 1930s. It featured ball diamonds and picnic groves, as well as a dancing pavilion large enough to accommodate several hundred people. It is not known whether this […]
Wingfoot Lake in Mogadore, named for Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company’s logo—the winged shoe of Mercury—supplied water for Goodyear’s blimp factory that opened during World War I. Wingfoot Lake hosted many company employee outings in the several decades before becoming a state park, including picnics specifically for Black workers in the 1930s. Additional information coming […]
Green Book Details Wood’s Social Inn appears in the Green Book from 1952 to 1955 at 1759 Broadway in Lorain. In 1952-53 it appears under the category Restaurants and in 1954-55 it appears under the category Inns. See also Mrs. Porter Wood. Additional information coming soon.
Woodland Hills Pool was located in Woodland Hills Park (now called Luke Easter Park) on Martin Luther King Jr. Drive just north of Kinsman Road. It was a site of racial threats against Black swimmers in the 1930s-50s. Resources “Luke Easter Park.” Encyclopedia of Cleveland History. https://case.edu/ech/articles/l/luke-easter-park. Michney, Todd. Surrogate Suburbs: Black Upward Mobility and […]
Wright’s Service was a chain of Sohio service stations operated by prominent Cleveland African American entrepreneur Alonzo G. Wright in the 1930s and 1940s. Wright was an innovator in automotive services, shaping the industry far beyond Cleveland. He went on to become a major real estate investor, hotel operator, and general contractor for construction projects. […]
Green Book Details Yale appears in the Green Book from 1947 to 1951 at 876 E. 105th St. under the category Tailors. In 1951, the address was changed to 1172 Rozelle Ave. No further information is available
Yankee Lake Park was a leisure destination located near Brookfield, Ohio, to the north of Youngstown and just west of Sharon, Pennsylvania. Although the park got its start in the early 20th century, in 1940, the Pittsburgh Courier reported that Eugene Cooke of Farrell, Pennsylvania, hoped to turn the venue into a full-fledged summer resort […]
Green Book Details The Youngstown YMCA appears as “Y.M.C.A.” in the Green Book from 1941 to 1967 at 962 W. Federal St. in Youngstown under the category Hotels. Additional information coming soon.
Green Book Details Zuber’s appears in the Green Book from 1940 to 1950 at 47 Cuyahoga St. in Akron under the category Service Stations. Additional information coming soon.